Like with any other major medical condition, no one ever expects to be personally affected by a stroke. However, being prepared for the instance in which one will occur increases the likelihood of making a full recovery. Dr. Paulinder Rai, our expert of stroke rehab near Babylon at Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation of Long Island, knows this, which is why he’d like to share the warning signs that point to this condition. By recognizing the presence of a stroke right away, you’ll be able to stay calm in the face of this unfortunate situation.
When someone is suffering from a stroke, the quicker treatment is received, the better the outlook of making a full recovery with stroke rehab near Babylon at our office. That is why Dr. Rai implores everyone to use the acronym F.A.S.T. to help remember the warning signs of a stroke, and what needs to be done when they are present. By thinking F.A.S.T., you just may save a life:
- Face: One of the common signs of a stroke is a drooping face. When you suspect a loved one may be suffering from one, ask them to smile and watch to see if one side droops.
- Arms: Weakness or numbness in the arms can also point to this condition. To be sure it’s an issue, have them raise their arms above their heads. If they are unable to do so, or if the arm droops as they are holding it up, they could be suffering from a stroke.
- Speech: Those suffering from a stroke will often have issues with their speech. If you notice the victim starts to slur their words, ask them to repeat a simple phrase to you. When they continue to slur or their speech sounds strange, an issue is present.
- Time: If any of the previously mentioned signs are present, contact 911 or get medical help right away. Getting your loved one the help they need immediately will make all the difference. Once the patient’s condition has been stabilized, Dr. Rai can begin administering various methods of stroke rehab near Babylon to help them make a full recovery.
Additional Warning Signs
Issues with the face, arms, and speech are not the only signs that could point towards a stroke occurring. If you or a loved one experiences any of the below, contact a medical professional immediately:
- Blurred or blackened vision in one or both eyes.
- A severe headache that comes along with vomiting, dizziness, or altered consciousness.
- Constant stumbling or loss of balance.
Stroke Rehab near Babylon With Dr. Rai
At Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Of Long Island, we’re committed to helping all patients who need stroke rehab near Babylon. Dr. Rai, our specialist in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation, will help guide patients through every step of the rehabilitation process. To learn more about the warning signs of strokes, or what will go into your loved one’s stroke rehabilitation process, contact us today!Leave a reply →