Whether it’s yourself or a loved one that has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, it can feel like everyone involved has just been hit with a devastating, life-altering blow. However, while there is currently no known cure for this progressive neurological disorder, there are methods to help manage the symptoms that develop. At Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation of Long Island, our neurologist near Bay Shore NY, Dr. Paulinder Rai, is well versed in helping patients live with this unfortunate condition. If you require Parkinson’s care on Long Island, reaching out to Dr. Rai could be your best move.
Symptoms Of Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease is a disorder that typically starts with minor symptoms. Small, barely noticeable tremors usually signify the beginning of its development. However, these symptoms will gradually begin to worsen over time, creating a decrease in the quality of life for the victim. Symptoms that need to be monitored include a few of the following:
- Mild to severe tremors.
- Slowed and shortened movement.
- Issues with posture and balance.
- Muscle stiffness.
- Speech impairment.
- Loss of automatic movement.
Managing Your Symptoms
There is currently no way to fully cure the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. However, our team will do everything in our power to help you manage them.The team at Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Of Long Island, offering the same treatment as a neurologist near Bay Shore NY, has a multitude of services at his disposal that can be seamlessly implemented into your plan for Parkinson’s care. Examples of these services and how they can help are listed below:
- Physical Therapy: As a physical-based form of treatment, physical therapy can help with the symptoms that affect your muscles and movement. Through stretches and therapeutic exercises, you can limit the severity of the symptoms Parkinson’s disease brings about.
- Occupational Therapy: Occupational therapy teaches patients how to overcome issues that stem from physical, mental, and cognitive disorders. This form of treatment will help teach you how to adapt to the new environment Parkinson’s disease has caused, and how to use any assistive devices you may now require for daily living.
- Osteopathic Manipulations: When Parkinson’s disease causes muscle stiffness and limited range of motion, osteopathic manipulations can be used to help manage these issues. During this therapy, the affected muscles will be manipulated and stretched to relieve tension and stiffness. Receiving osteopathic manipulations can help combat one of the most common symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
Request An Appointment With Our Neurologist Near Bay Shore NY
Getting ahead of the symptoms Parkinson’s disease can bring plays an important role in helping to manage the condition. Dr. Paulinder Rai and the rest of our team will work diligently to try and craft a treatment regimen that will yield the most optimal results. Request an appointment for Parkinson’s care on Long Island at our Brightwaters location today and take the first steps in the proper management of Parkinson’s disease.Leave a reply →