Electromyography (EMG) is a diagnostic procedure which involves the insertion of needles called electrodes into the muscles. The electrical activity within the muscles will be measured while the patient contracts and relaxes the muscles, as these motions and movements should result in certain electrical activities. If these electrical activities show any abnormalities or dysfunctions, a neurologist will interpret the data to determine the condition and if further testing is required. This testing diagnoses disorders of the muscles and nerves and is an important first step in the treatment of these conditions.
If you’ve experienced any unusual symptoms in your muscles or nerves, it is recommended that you schedule an EMG test as soon as possible. While some common causes of these symptoms include infections, diabetes, anemia, or issues with circulation, it’s important to receive EMG testing on Long Island to rule out muscle, nerve, or motor neuron conditions.
Importance of EMG Testing Long Island
It may be time to receive diagnostic testing if you’ve experienced:
- Unexplained paralysis
- Muscle pain and soreness
- Muscle weakness
- Limb pain and weakness
EMG testing on Long Island is one of the main diagnostic procedures for conditions such as:
- Muscular Dystrophy – a genetic condition that causes loss of muscle mass
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – a nerve condition that causes numbness and tingling in the arm
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease) – a nervous system condition that causes weakened muscles
- Herniated Disc – a spinal condition that causes weakness, pain, and tingling
- Myasthenia Gravis – an autoimmune condition that causes muscle weakness
- Pinched Nerves – a nerve condition that causes pain, tingling, and numbness
- Polymyositis – a muscle condition that causes inflammation and pain
After the EMG Test
After your test, your physician will go over the results with you and discuss the next steps in diagnosis and treatment. Your test results will be sent to your primary care doctor right away.
If you are looking for EMG testing on Long Island, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation of Long Island is the right place for you. We understand the importance of EMG testing in determining the cause of your symptoms, as it’s important to us that you have a treatment plan in place to help you manage and overcome your condition.
Please contact us today to schedule an appointment to receive your EMG testing on Long Island.Leave a reply →